Ulster County - Heating Up The Calendar Of Events
Posted by Murphy Realty Group on Friday, June 22nd, 2012 at 4:11pm.
If you haven’t noticed, summer is here! Some of us love it and think it’s about time; others can’t seem to function in the heat. Either way, it looks like it’s going to be a beautiful weekend here in Ulster County NY and throughout the Hudson Valley.
Even in the sweltering heat, Ulster County offers something for everyone. Some may decide to take a relaxing weekend, stay inside and soak up the air conditioning, while watching the kids run through the sprinklers. Others may decide to hop in the car, blast the air, or role down the windows and take a scenic drive down one of the many beautiful country roads throughout the county, from winding country roads through the beautiful Blue Mountains and the Catskill Mountains, to beautiful scenery along the Hudson River or along the Ashokan Reservoir, there is so much to take in!
Along with everything that’s happening throughout the Hudson Valley area, there are several other family fun options for staying cool. Hit up one of the local water parks, there’s Zoom Flume in East Durham, or Splash Down Beach in Fishkill.
Or take a quick drive up Route 28 and along with the breathtaking scenery, stop by and take a dip in the Esopus. Cool down and experience whitewater tubing and Kayaking on the Esopus!
And if you’re out and about, stop by and check out some of the great local events happening this weekend, some of which are……
Saturday / June 23
- Kingston Farmers Market - More than 30 vendors offering organic and natural fare such as meats and cheeses, fruits and vegetables, breads and other baked goods, honey, fresh-cut flowers and so much more. FMNP and EBT accepted. Kingston Farmers' Market is on Wall Street between John and North Front Streets.
- Bearsville Theater –Kinky Friedman “the Frank Zappa of country music,”: Doors 8 pm, Show 9 pm. $30 seated, general admission. Bearsville Theater, 291 Tinker St., Woodstock.
- Breeding Birds & Butterflies Guided Nature Walk. 8am. Saugerties Village Beach parking lot/Rte 9W/esopuscreekconservancy.org
- Jin Shin Jyutsu for animals & people. 10:30-11:30am. Julianne Dow introduces the basics. Saugerties Library/91 Washington Ave/246-4317/saugertiespubliclibrary.org
- Wethersfield Mansion & Garden Tour. 11am car pool from Deyo Hall/18 Broadhead Ave/New Paltz Garden Club/255-8856/newpaltzgardenclub.org
- Esopus Meadows Lighthouse Tour. 12:30-3pm. Reservations recommended. $25, $20 members, $15 8-15 yr olds. Leaves from Hudson River Maritime Museum/50 Rondout Landing/Kingston/848-36619/esopusmeadowslighthouse.org
- Concert on the Green. 1-6pm. Local musicians, free family event. Woodstock Village Green/679-3224/woodstockchamber.com
- Opening Reception. 5-7pm. Dear Mother Nature: Hudson Valley Artists 2012. On exhibit through November 4. The Dorsky Museum/SUNY New Paltz/257-3844/newpaltz.edu/museum
- Swing Dance Party. 8pm. 7:30pm beginners workshop. Music by Swingology and Lindy Hop Heaven. $15, $5 ages 12 & under, free under 5. Ashokan Center/477 Beaverkill Rd/Olvebridge/657-8333/ashokancenter.org
Sunday / June 24
- Dog Days of Summer Hike. 1-3pm. Bring your favorite furry friend for a romp! All well behaved dogs on short leashes welcome. Ages 10 & up. Free. Mohonk Preserve Spring Farm Trailhead/Upper 27 Knolls Rd/High Falls/255-0919/mohonkpreserve.org
- Historic Hurley Walking Tour. 2pm. $3, under 12 free. Hurley Heritage Society Museum/52 Main St/Hurley/338-1661/hurleyheritagesociety.org
- 7th Annual Tour de Kingston. 5 mile bicycle tour with stops at the Senate House, Fireman’s Museum & tour of Forsyth Nature Center. Cookout at the end of the ride. Free. Start and end at Forsyth Nature Center/157 Lucas Ave/Kingston/331-1682/tourdeulster.com
- National Theatre Live from London. 3pm & 7:15pm. Frankenstein, a new play by Nick Dear based on Mary Shelley’s novel. $12, $10 members. Rosendale Theatre/408 Main St/Rosendale/658-8989/rosendaletheatre.org
- Cleoma’s Ghost: Old Time & Traditional Cajun music. 7:30pm. Harmony Music/52 Mill St/Woodstock/238-8663/cleomasghost.com
- 27th Annual Big Indian Car Show: Presented by Catskill Mountain Classic Car Club. Gates open 8 am, Awards Ceremony 3:30 pm. Food & Refreshments. 50/50 Drawing. Big Indian Valley Park, Big Indian.
There’s always something fun and exciting happening throughout the Hudson Valley area. Whether you get to stop by any of these events, or decide to take a stroll down some of the Village streets such as Woodstock, Saugerties, or New Paltz, taking in the unique shops and boutiques, or stopping into one of the various restaurants, there’s never a shortage of things to do. Ulster County can feel so much like home for weekenders that many have made it official.
Whether looking for a new home, a second home, weekender, country retreat..... start your search for Ulster County Real Estate here!
Be the first to comment on this blog entry!